Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Heavens Declare

I know I should have been in bed a long time ago, but I just have to capture this. Around 10:45 I finished working on the vans (some battery issues, etc) and was closing up and putting things away for the night. A moment later I headed for the chicken house to make sure that they were safe from predators by closing their door. As I walked around the dark side of the chicken house, the whole glory of the heavens was opened up to me. A perfectly clear sky combined with the darkness of the country to display a grand picture of the sky. It was one of the few times in my life that I wished I knew more about astronomy.

I think I also got a sense of why we call our galaxy the Milky Way. There was a segment of the sky that reflected a whitish hue to me, I assume because of the sheer volume of stars in that "area".

Breath-taking. It really was.

1 comment:

Tara said...

He forgets to mention that I helped with the battery things. Including finding the WD40 to loosen the nuts, figuring out where the positive link was and some other pretty imressive things. Now, granted, not as impressive as the Milky Way, but pretty impressive none the less!