Friday, May 22, 2009

Great Stuff from Aidan

Maybe two days ago, Aidan came down to my room at 5:45 in the morning. I was on the verge of awake already but not really sure I wanted to get up. He tapped on the side of my bed and I looked at him. "Aidan, what are you doing up already?" I groaned.

He flashed me his brilliant Tater smile and said, "I'm up early so I can spend time with you. I just need some Daddy time!"

Well, you know I got up right away, don't you? Here my precious Tater was telling me that he was willing to get up way early just so he could spend time with me. He had gathered how rushed everything gets at the end of the year and wanted to make sure he got some time with me one way or another. I was touched.

There are some good applications here to make to our relationship with God. We need to seek out the special moments where we can have some "Daddy time" with God. Of course, it isn't God Who's too busy; we are. We get tied up working or playing or something in between. We often forget that Daddy time is what keeps us going strong and in the right direction. I expect that God feels somewhat like I did that early morning -- delighted that we are choosing to spend the time with him.

I learn a lot from Aidan, and I hope to learn more in the future. He is matter-of-fact, funny, and full of wisdom.

1 comment:

Tooz said...

That's a precious story, Jim. I am so impressed with the way you folks learn from your children!