Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Iron This One Out!

So we got our tax refund and have been busy stimulating the economy. My wife declared that one thing we needed was a new iron. Our last one I got "off a dead guy". (In my summer business, sometimes a job entails cleaning out a dead person's estate, and I often get to keep some of their possessions as part of the deal.) It is a nice iron, but of late it has begun leaking profusely while you are trying to iron. So I said, "Sure, go get one."

She brought home a lovely box with a picture of an iron on it. I opened the box. Sure enough, there was an iron inside. With retractable cord. Cool. But then I noticed some scratches on the face plate. Strange. I investigated a little further. There were calcium deposits inside the steam vents. I was a little disgusted, but I figured, oh well. Someone must have tried it out and then brought it back.

I plugged it in and nothing happened. This was disheartening. It was then that I noticed the brand of the iron was "Panasonic" and the box said "GE". Some dishonorable sap had apparently purchased a new GE iron, switched the irons, and then returned their damaged one in the new box and gotten their money back. Deceptive but effective.

Then I imagined going back to Wal-Mart and convincing them that I wasn't the one who switched the irons. How humiliating!

Well, my wife did the dirty work and she reports that no questions were asked. I guess it would take a lot of talent to concoct that scheme and then act like the one who's been swindled.

Stuff like this makes you pine for the good old days, whatever they were!!

1 comment:

Tooz said...

Well, yet another good reason to bring back the Mom-Pop stores and say good-bye to Walmart! I despise the chain. I hate their philosophy, which I see as "If Sam doesn't use it, you don't need it."

Our store here in town eliminated its piece-goods department--now if a person wants to sew, they have to drive to either Lexington or Frankfort to buy fabric and patterns!

Yes, Walmart has good prices, but I happily pay more to shop for groceries at the Kroger's near me, which also has good selections and good service.