Monday, April 6, 2009

Yanks Survive KY -- no attacks reported. Part 2

On Sunday morning I started the day with a shower. While I was showering I became aware that it was dark in the bathroom. At first I thought one of my children had turned off the bathroom light, but I soon came to discover that the electricity had gone out. A horizontal snowstorm in Chicago will do that.

Still we successfully went to church at Everett's church. I was a little groggy but the sermon was about sexual immorality... an interesting combination. The kids reported liking church there... the younger ones had lots of toys available, apparently.

The power came back on and we lunched at the apartment, then packed and set out for Kentucky. As we proceeded south, the weather became less slushy and a bit warmer. The drive through Chicago in the daytime was absolutely amazing. Between the skyline, the immensity of the city, and the many ancient houses crowded next to one another, I was awestruck. I wonder what sort of sewer system serves that community...

Just a little way into Indiana, we hit traffic. We wasted more than an hour doing between zero and 12 miles per hour. Eventually we came out of the traffic and were able to enjoy the Indiana countryside at a more reasonable pace. I discovered that I really like Indiana. Previously I had thought of it as an "also ran" sort of place, but it was very homey and all the people we met were gracious and hospitable. I particularly liked the small farms that dotted the Indiana landscape along the interstate. I'm sure life on them isn't quite as romantic as it appears from the highway, but still it does appear that way. And I have no facts to contradict my impressions. The farms were small, the houses were small, the barns were small. Somehow they must have managed to survive in the midst of all that small.

It was getting on toward nightfall when we hit the Kentucky border. The interstate seemed narrow in places, and I paid the best attention I could to the road and asked God to keep us safe. And He did. We arrived at David and Susan's I think a little before 11:00 Sunday night. It only took a few minutes to get the children situated. We chatted a bit and then fell into bed ourselves.

Stay tuned for Part III, hopefully within a few days before I forget everything that happened!!

1 comment:

Everett said...

I love that you wonder what sort of sewage system serves Chicagoland.