Friday, April 3, 2009

Yanks Survive KY -- no attacks reported. Part 1

We decided to go to Kentucky for Spring Break.

It took a bit of convincing to get my wife to sign on to this idea. We would be taking my best good college friend Everett "Bubba" with us and staying at his parents' home in KY. She knows Bubba pretty well, but had never met his parents. Moreover, we'd have our four precious offspring with us... in someone else's house... for several days!!

We set out uneventfully and in the late afternoon arrived at Everett's apartment in Chicagoland. It was then that I noticed a hissing hole in the driver's front tire. We sprang into action down to National Tire and Battery, getting it dealt with before it went flat on us. The tire was $65, but somehow the labor brought it up to $107 for their 20 minutes of effort. Please.

We all stayed over at Everett's that night, which was just short of impossible ("The difficult we do first; the impossible takes a little longer."). We had all four children packed into Bubba's bedroom and then Tara and I and Everett were sleeping on couch and fouton in the main living area. That is, until Bubba started snoring. He produces an impressive vibration, and even with earplugs, I was not able to ignore the snore. So I packed up my blankets and headed into the bedroom, which, remember, is already occupied by my four children. I picked the only remaining patch of floor and settled down on a mat. I remained asleep until about 2:00 a.m. when Aidan fell out of the bed and onto... me!! Yes, I was sleeping right below the side of the bed, and Aidan is good at falling out of things. There wasn't really room for him on the floor, so I heaved him back up into the bed and returned to sleeping until 5:30, when HE FELL ON ME AGAIN!. Yes, fans, he really did. Vacation sleep. Whatever.

It just gets better from here. Stay tuned for the next installment of "Yanks Survive Kentucky".

1 comment:

Tooz said...

I'm waiting, I'm waiting...