Sunday, January 4, 2009

Everything You Wanted to Know about Chex

So I went to bed with a stomachache last night and didn't sleep a whole lot. I didn't become badly ill, but some wussy virus attacked me, leaving a headache and strange elimination. I suppose you don't need details of that.

After church we got into something of a discussion about marriage, and I told Evan that if he wanted me to, I would teach him about marriage and related matters. So I was correcting papers in my office around 2:00 and he came in and said, "OK, Dad, you were going to teach me about marriage?"

So we went to his room, flopped down on the bed, and I asked him if he had ever wondered where babies come from. And he said, "Oh, I know about that already."

So I said, "How do you make a baby?"

And he explained in pretty correct detail the female side: ovary, egg, tube, uterus, baby. (Apparently I'd explained this in good detail right after Tara had her tubes tied.) He just didn't realize that Daddies had anything to do with the process. So I asked, "So where does the daddy come in?"

And he looked at me very strangely. And then I explained to him exactly how the daddy is involved in making the baby. After making a face, he said, "Do you have to do that every time you want a baby?"

I explained that it wasn't quite as much of a trial as he perhaps thought it was.
Evan asked a few more very funny things as well, things that you just wouldn't think of if you'd been biologically aware for say, more than 20 years.

But they were great questions and a great discussion. And I explained that God only wants you to do this activity with the person to whom you are married. And then he asked, "So how did [unmarried person Jane Doe] get her babies?"

I almost swallowed my tongue.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Jim? How DID [unmarried person Jane Doe] get her babies? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jim said...

Inquiring minds should choose to reveal their identities, and then I'll be happy to continue the Chex talk with you.

Mom With Bipolar said...

Wow! Heavy stuff. I'm definitely showing this to Drew for future reference. Good job, Dad!

Mom With Bipolar said...

P.S. I am not "anonymous."

Anonymous said...

Yeah, go ahead and tell us, "Where did Jane Doe get her babies?"

Anonymous said...

You surly did not swallow your tounge...how did ya answer that one? owendyalways wants to know:)