Monday, January 19, 2009

The Odd Thing About It...

Blogging Time. I'll think I'll give an update on the many, many pieces of my life.

Last Thursday I took a friend out for lunch. During lunch Evan and I found out that our friend hasn't had enough money to buy proper groceries. Mindful of James 2, we started to figure out how we could help. I made an appeal at a men's breakfast and a brief comment later, which so far has brought in over $400 to help him. If you'd like to join us in this effort, just get together with me sometime in e-mail or person. The Lord is good and He will provide for the needs of His children.

*******************************

Evan and I have also been playing Monopoly again. This is bad because Evan beats me virtually every time we play. However, we play in the evening, so if I'm really discouraged, I just declare it bedtime and we end the game! Last time Evan called me on it, and I said, "Yep, you've already whupped me pretty thoroughly; it's just a matter of the next hour for you to finish me off. So we're going to skip to the death scene."

*******************************

We had Jayson and Christi over for dinner tonight with their kids. Two large families together requires a lot of table space, so we put two tables in the dining room and lined everyone up. It was a lot of fun and a blessing to see different childrens' approaches to the world.

After they went home, we were cleaning up Aidan and Toby's room when suddenly Aidan went over to his bed, pulled out a broken mini-blind, and said, "Here, I broke this."

Since I was in a pretty relaxed mood (and somewhat tired) I didn't start yelling or any of the other bad parenting behaviors that certainly could happen in a situation like that. I just sat down on his mattress with him and started asking questions.

Me: Aidan, how did it break?

Aidan: Well, I was just pulling on it a lot and then it came down.

Me: Did you not know how to use it?

Aidan: I know how to use the curtains in your room.

Me: The curtains or the blind?

Aidan: The blind. I just know how to use it.

Me: Maybe when we get you a new one, I'll teach you how to use it.

Aidan: I don't think you should get me a new one.

Me: Why not?

Aidan: (sad face) I'm just like a cat with strings. (accompanied by hand motions similar to a cat's paw batting at the strings of a blind.

Me: Oh. I get it.

*****************************

The boys and I went tractor-sledding yesterday again. That is absolutely the best winter sport. The guys love it. Evan and I went all the way from our house to [insert local radio station name here] on one of our runs.

No comments: