Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunday Sampler

It is a beautiful Sunday morning in southern Minnesota. The birds are singing, the squirrels are chittering, my wife and daughter are laughing. We are getting ready for church, but nobody's really rushing, since the service doesn't start until 9:30.

Our senior pastor resigned after 11 years in that position. Of course that brings immediate changes. To compound these changes, our director of worship also turned in his resignation because a church up on the Minnesota/Dakota border offered him a position leading to worship pastor. So I guess the status quo will be the status ante.

My dad came over for a while yesterday morning. While he was here, he either repaired or contributed to the repair of my small lawn tractor, a roto-tiller, a bicycle, and something else that I cannot recall right now.

We did some aggressive cleaning and organizing yesterday, somewhat to get ready for our Ole Reunion Party next Saturday as well as our houseguest Everett. The irony of this is that Everett wouldn't really be disturbed if our house looked like a war zone. We are looking forward to a nice weekend.

Tara keeps interrupting my blogging to have me feed children. So far I have fed Tater some waffles (he likes waffles) and I plan to nourish Toby in just a moment.

My back has been a source of annoyance again. It feels fine during the day, but I can't sleep a full night lying down. The muscles in the middle become very upset for some reason, causing me to wake up in pain and try to find a comfortable position. I intend to try yet another new strategy tonight.

5 comments:

ann said...

I used to have lower back pain, and it went away when I started exercising. It has gotten even better since I started doing Pilates. (There are perfectly normal grown men in the classes I attend.) They sell a dvd at Wal-Mart called "Pilates for Dummies". I think it's $10. You can pretend it's for Tara.

Enjoy my brother. I'm trying to be happy for your family, rather than jealous.

Tara said...

(Jim writing here)

You really want me to start doing pilates?

And as far as being jealous of our family, didn't you just see the big galoot a month or two ago? ;-)

Tara said...

Sure, we could all do pilates as a family! Wouldn't it be fun??? You may not even get in the doghouse if you bought a dvd!

ann said...

It's so fun.

SaraRC said...

Seriously, strengthening the abs is the way to protect your back! Pilates is a good way to do it, even if it does feel nutty.

Austin claims his lower back problems have gone since he started running (he's planning his 4th marathon right now). He does do some specific exercises targeted for abs and back, though, that a physical therapist gave him.

Good luck!