Thursday, May 15, 2008

Worked for Me Wednesday

Apparently women who blog have a thing called "Works for me Wednesday" in which they share practical ideas of how they manage to survive the challenges of homemaking with less stress and effort. So today I will share with you serendipitous Wednesday

Wednesdays are usually a hard-working day at school for me, but this one wasn't. First, the 8th graders were going to be off campus for a highway clean-up project in the afternoon. I was passed over on supervision duty because I still had 5th grade to teach in the afternoon. Later, I was informed that the 5th graders would be receiving their first annual talk entitled "Growing up as a Sexual Being" (subtitle: No, You Don't Have Cancer nor Have You Regressed to Wetting the Bed). Okay, I confess, I made up both titles, but they're catchy, aren't they? This exciting talk was scheduled during my normal class hour with them.

Still later, I learned that the 9th graders would be leaving early for the annual high school Chanhassen Event (the kids in formal wear have a first-rate meal and then see a show together at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater).

So that emptied my afternoon of classes. Thus I humbly went to Keith, our headmaster, and asked if I could take personal time for the rest of the day. It was after all, 65 and sunny. And he said, "Go for it!" or something more headmasterly to the same effect.

So I headed over to a client's house at 1:15 and started staining her deck in the gorgeous spring weather. Zach was there by 3:30 and also got busy on the spindles. It's going to be GGRRRRREAT! Worked for me!

No comments: