Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Goatless

Well, I didn't think this was going to be difficult, but it was. Jeanne came on Sunday after church and picked up her goats. From a practical standpoint, I could see that it was a good decision, and I was, after all, the one who suggested that perhaps it was time for them to go home. With cold weather upon us, I was concerned that the goats would have a tough time finding food and staying warm.

I didn't realize that I had become somewhat attached to Earl, Java, and Buckeye, three wether goats that have lived with us since late summer. They were very personable goats, especially Earl, who would come and let his head and shoulders be rubbed by just about anyone. They were also funny and got themselves into lots of scrapes while staying with us. Curious to a fault, they even climbed up in my trailer to get a different perspective on the world.

And now they're gone, and the pasture looks so empty. The surrounding land looks empty too, as the farmers have harvested their corn. You can see a long way from our house. It's not bad, but it is strange.

No comments: