Monday, October 29, 2007

Warm Chickens and Cool Theology

Our four chickens tend to sleep in the same place on the back yard every night: About 40 feet from the house in a completely unguarded location. I'm stunned that some predator hasn't come along and snuffed them already, but I guess there is grace, even for chickens. However, I know what a Minnesota winter feels like and I can't imagine four medium-sized birds surviving that without shelter. So tonight we instituted Operation ChickenLift.

Tara held the flashlight for me and I scooped and carried the egg bearers one at a time to the chicken coop (yes, they have a beautiful chicken coop that they refuse to use). After each trip, we closed the door to keep said chicken inside. When the first one was deposited, she made a sorrowful noise between a coo and a cluck. We both laughed. Two of the chickens went without protest, one was pretty easy to catch, and the last one led us on a wild chicken-chase all around the backyard before being cornered. It is hoped that they will settle into the chicken house with a little reinforcement.

In other news, we were watching _Because of Winn Dixie_ early Sunday morning, and came across a scene likc this:

Older, wisdom-filled black lady: In life, you got to find the most important thing.

Adorable pre-teen white girl: What is the most important thing?

(Dramatic Pause)

Old black lady: Why, the most important thing is whatever's most important to you.


So I went and asked Aidan (4) what the most important thing was. And he said something like, "God is the most important thing and loving Him and serving Him." He said more, too, with confidence and conviction. For my part, I gave him a high five and rejoiced at God's work in a little fellow. Tears of joy came into my eyes, for he knows the truth, and the truth will set him free!

1 comment:

drew said...

The wisdom of youth is astounding, but they do not come upon it in a vacuum. My kudos to you and Tara for your efforts to raise children who see the light. You are fulfilling the scriptural commandment to "raise up [your] child[ren] in the way[s they] should go."