Monday, October 15, 2007

Preachin' the Word

I have been a committed Christian for about 16 years (and have probably been a Christian much longer than that...not really sure when I became part of the Kingdom) and I'm always amazed by how the Lord uses strange little servants like me. I wanted to teach the Word in adult classes; He's let me do that since I was about 22. I wanted to play on a worship team and lead worship... I've had opportunity to do that. I've wanted to preach, but thought that was kind of distant dream. But God has allowed that, too. In the last two years I've had three opportunites to preach at my home church when our senior pastor has been away.

The last of those was yesterday. I preached two services on "A Life That Bears Fruit", centered on John 15, but incorporating other Scriptures as helpful. I used the illustration of two apple trees in my yard to support my talk. One of these trees in misshapen, badly damaged, and short on branches. The other is gorgeous, nicely shaped, and has hundreds of leaf-covered branches. But only one has fruit. The ugliest tree in my yard produces delicious apples. I brought a small basketful to share with my listeners.

So I enjoy preaching, but it takes a lot of prep, energy, and spiritual warfare. I'm tired today but glad that we are working together to spread the glory of God!

(Edited by Tara to include a link to the sermon. At Berean's website you can click on Jim's name to hear his message!)

No comments: