Sunday, October 7, 2007

"Mike, C'mere a Minute"

I haven't been to a concert in years, that is, the type that you pay money to attend. I've been to plenty of choral events (being a St. Olaf graduate I suppose it runs in your blood) and I'm a frequent attender at concerts put on by my school, but I typically don't enjoy paying for a concert. Come to think of it, I don't like to pay for anything. But I digress.

I found out a few weeks ago that Michael Card was coming to Autumn Ridge Church. We have a lot of friends there and would easily be able to attend. So we actually got our act together and bought tickets mostly ahead of time. Expensive but not unbearable.

Tara predicted that the concert would be a who's who of Christianity in Rochester, which it actually wasn't. Not that there weren't some great people there, just not as many different churches represented as I'd hoped. We did see plenty of friends and enjoyed a wonderfully relaxed yet profound experience in music, artistry, and worship. I do appreciate Michael Card. I think he's one of the finest musician/poets living and creating in the US at this time. I also make a hearty slap upside the head to any Christian radio station that refuses to play his work. What's your excuse???

As soon as Card introduced his band, I was delighted to see one of my college acquaintances playing percussion with him. Paul was our worship leader for a Wednesday night Bible Study of about 100 college students back in the early 90s. I don't think I had seen him for at least a decade, but I'll say that he's aged pretty much not at all (the opposite of me). I really wanted to talk with Paul, so after the show I found Brian (media coordinator for the church and I happen to teach his kids) and he took Tara and me back. It was great. Every parting, someone said, is a little like a death, and every reunion like the Resurrection. So we imparted a little life, health, and encouragement to each other in those moments.

And then, as we were chatting, Michael Card sort of wandered back out to stage and Paul said, Hey, Mike. C' mere a minute. I want you to meet these guys." So there we were, chatting with Michael Card for a few minutes. It was a real blessing and totally unexpected. He is a real inspiration and a blessing to millions. Thank you, God, for your people in this world!

3 comments:

Everett said...

I'm officially jealous. It's good to hear Paul is well.

Unknown said...

I'm also officially jealous and kicking myself for not going to the show. I blame John Y. for not accepting my invitation to go thus leaving me with no one to go with...kidding...but seriously I have no excuse. I sat at home and did almost nothing.

JW

Jim said...

It really was an outstanding show... you would have known a lot of people too, I think. Oh well.