Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Package for Jim

Well, last night Tara asked me to bring in the mail, which I was pleased to do because I always like having a reason to be outside (on my terms, that is, not on something like recess duty, which I do not have but would not want)and so I went to the mailbox. And lo, there before me was a beautiful, bubble-insulated package from the mother of my best good friend Everett, who (to my knowledge) has never sent me a package before. So I figured it must be for my wife, Tara, since these women always seem to have some sort of bloggy give-away going on. But no, it was addressed to "[well, this is a blog, so I can't put m' full name here, but I assure you, first and last name of me were both present]". By the way, I hate that rule of blogging. I would love to shout my full name to the heavens because it is a decent name and I happen to like attention/visibility etc. But no matter.

So I opened the bubble sheath and discovered a most wonderful book called Old Tractors and the Men Who Love Them or something like that. Well, I could see right away that this was going to be the perfect book. The subtitle is "How to keep your tractor happy and your family running" which I think is exactly how it should be!

So far I have read the introduction and part of chapter one. I can't believe how much I identify with this guy! His name is Roger Welsch, and he spent 30 years teaching linguistic something and folklore at the University of Nebraska. Then the antique tractors caught him, and now he's doomed. Probably a lot like I am.

FYI: For lunch today I am having ratatouille, inspired by the movie and promoted by Rachael Ray. My wife and my pre-schoolers watch Rachael Ray almost every day. Why does 4-year-old Aidan like Rachael Ray? Really, I have no idea. But he does.

5 comments:

Tara said...

You forgot to mention that Aidan wrote a fan letter to Rachael Ray!

Tooz said...

Faithful friend of my son, I'm glad you liked your book! It caught my eye immediately, and of course, I knew exactly who needed that book.

I've enjoyed reading your blog today. I do hope your dad is feeling better, and I also hope you decide to stay in the country. My dad grew up in a rural area and always wanted to buy a baby farm like yours. He never got his farm. I'm glad you all have yours!

Everett said...

I'm a little surprised I haven't thought of this before. You ought to talk to James May about tractors some time. Seems like about the time we graduated he was moving on from harpsichords to tractors. I really never sent you a book in the mail?

Anonymous said...

Jim... Someone sent me your nice blog about my tractoring...and the next day...Valentine's Day of course...I was headed in for cardiac surgery, so you sent me off with a word of cheer. Writing is a funny business...you rarely get to see what REAL people think of your work, so it is nice when someone like you takes the time and trouble to say something nice.
Roger

Jim said...

Aside to Roger:

Wow! What a shock! I never dreamed you'd actually see my comments. Two nights ago I finished the chapter about the shop. I'm looking forward to reading the rest!

Also, I have a question for you if you should happen to read this post.