Saturday, February 2, 2008

Tough Month for Grandpa

I wrote last year about my mother's death in April -- what a kind and wonderful woman she was. The miracle, besides some of the circumstances of her departure, is that my dad has been doing as well as he has. They were married 35 years and really, I know, considered each other their best friend. "I hate to leave you" was my mom's comment to my dad a few weeks before she died.

So Grandpa had to get through a funeral, figure out housekeeping for himself, and have gallbladder surgery in August. Then, this winter, he discovered that he had a hernia. Once again, it was time for surgery. He had the same surgeon do the procedure, which was a week and a half or so ago. This time went even better than last, but still recovery is tough when you're so old. On top of that, he had intestinal problems and then came down with a cold. So I suppose it will be the middle of February before he gets to feeling much better. I just pray for spring to come, so that with the poet we can say, "so that I too bloom and sing" or something like that. Not teaching English this year, you know. :-)

No comments: