Monday, April 7, 2008

Little Critic and Other News and Humor from Today

This morning Toby (#3) woke up earliest, of the children, that is. I came up from the shower to find him snuggled into my side of the bed. So I began a conversation with him.

Me: Toby, what's that in my bed?

Toby: It's a lion.

Me: Do you know anything about lions?

Toby: [nods]

Me: Does a lion have fur or feathers?

Toby: Fur!

Me: What does a lion say?

Toby: (very weakly) Roar.

Me: What kind of a lion is that?

Toby: It's a baby lion.

Me: What do you call a baby lion?

Toby: A quesadilla! (I promise. That's really what he said!)

Me and Tara, who is now awake: [much laughter]

*****************************

I asked my homeroom (7th grade) this morning about their spring break activities. Maria replied that she had gone to the state science fair over break and that it had been really fun. She said that when they got up in the morning to have breakfast at the hotel, everyone else was "dressed up" but she arrived in the dining room wearing pajamas, eyemask, and carrying her teddy bear. She went on to describe other unique things she had done at the fair.

Nicole raised her hand a few minutes later and said, "I went to state science fair too, and Maria really did everything she said!"

*****************************

The results from the National Latin Exam came today. When I first picked up the packet in the office, I thought that it was a little light... maybe a little too light... maybe not having enough medals. Well, I was wrong! I opened that packet and discovered a whole pile of honor certificates, gold medals, and silver medals. The Latin I students totally cleaned up!! They had 77% of the takers honored in some way, including six gold medals. But the best part was this: Because we had 4 or 5 freshmen sick on the exam day, I pulled up three really sharp eighth grade girls who are taking Latin with me also... at about half the speed of the ninth grade. We really didn't think they'd win anything; I just didn't want to waste the exams. You know, I thought it would be good experience and a self-esteem boost for them. Well, I really had no idea. All three of them turned out to be medalists! We got a gold and two silvers out of Kerryn, Kiersten, and Andrea. I was really proud and grateful to God for their achievements.

*****************************

Towards the end of supper tonight Evan decided that he would be a restaurant critic similar to Anton Ego in Ratatouille. He grabbed a small notebook and a black pen and returned to the table. After he sampled the dessert (pound cake with strawberries and whipped cream) this is what we found written in the notebook:

Flavor: ***
Thickness: ***
Serving: **
Decoration: ****

When asked about the rating scale, he replied impatiently that it was out of five stars, "of course."

When asked about thickness, he explained that he was rating the thickness of the pound cake. He thought it ought to be a little thicker.