Sunday, April 6, 2008

Takin' It to the Churches

I love to drive through small-town America. There is a quaint beauty that comes, especially for someone who grew up in the Twin Cities, in just seeing the small downtown areas, historic churches, and brick storefronts. The residential sections just a few blocks away are a treat, too.

The sad, reality, sometimes, is that those same towns have no vibrant Christian ministry in them to point the people to faith and community in Christ. Even if they do, it is less than likely that Christian worldview is clearly, comprehensively, or systematically taught.

For 3-4 years now, I have wanted to put together a Christian worldview seminar and take it to the churches -- the small rural churches where one discouraged pastor serves 3 congregations 22 miles apart. You know the type. The exciting news is that I am very close. I drafted a letter yesterday that I intend to use to communicate with these congregations. I'll be offering them a chance to hear my Christian Worldview Seminar as a Sunday message in either the service or one of the classes.

This is dove-tailing nicely with some other aspects of my life and ministry responsibilities. I'm hoping to get into a few churches this summer, get a rhythm for this, and take it even further in years to come.

Please join me in praying about this opportunity. Also, if you have something good to say about my teaching or leading ability or whatever, please post it or email it to me so I can use it in the "marketing letter" (gag) that I'll be sending to these congregations. I know I'm attempting something tricky, but at the moment I'm quite undaunted.

Soli Deo Gloria!!!

No comments: