Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I'll Soften YOUR Water!

So my colleague Rich, with whom I have taught for the last 11 years (he tracks who long he's been at the Academy by asking me my years of service and then subtracting one) came out last night to help me install a water softener.

I think he was figuring this would take about an hour. As you well know, in situations like this it never takes just an hour. He arrived around four and didn't leave till nearly seven. In the interim, we discovered that the "in" and the "out" were reversed and therefore we would have to reroute the copper to make the unit work properly. Of course,we were one fitting short of that, so I went to Hardware Hank while Rich kept at it.

He successfully sweated all the joints and got water into the system. But later that evening, since the pressure was up, another pipe in another part of the house had a pinhole spring a leak. So now we have no cold water to the kitchen.

I give up.

The softener, however, looks very attracting in its little corner of the basement.

No comments: