Monday, March 24, 2008

Why, Oh Why Do We Try?

So I left school this afternoon, dropped a load of junk at my dad's house, picked up Evan, and listened to an explanation of bowling and other things Evan likes to do on the way home.

When I got home the entire house was torn up. This, presumably because Tara had just finished laying linoleum in the dining room. We are planning to list on April 1, so we need to get all of our projects either completed or underway. But I wonder how many wives would attempt linoleum with no husband at home and three small children rustling about. Tara not only tried but got about 90 percent of it down. We still have to do some of the edges, which will require cutting and that sort of effort. Oh well.

I have made enough progress on the laundry room to call it progress. The priming is done and most of the painting is done. There's a bit of drywall work to be completed over the stairs, but beyond that, I feel pretty good about that room. The only problem is that the copper pipes to the washer are suffering pinhole leaks. So I am planning to rip the copper there and replace it with ultra-cool PEX tubing, which is cheap, easy to install, and will last for years to come. To get the pressure off myself, I convinced Tara to help me move a different washer that we had in the barn to the basement, where there is another water hook-up and drain area. Thus we could wash in peace while getting the main-floor laundry in shape.

Well, that was the plan. The two of us succeeded in moving that washer to the basement, and I succeeded in hooking it up. There's only one problem. After it filled water, it would not start. It makes a little humming noise and then gives up. This is most troubling because the machine ran quite nicely when we pulled it out last July.

It is also troubling because I already put half a load of laundry in it, figuring the
simple machine would start up and we'd be ahead of the game.

So now I have a machine full of warm water, wet clothes, detergent, and absolutely no plan.

Good night.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Correction. You have a washer full of warm water, wet clothes detergent, MOUSE POOP and no plan. Darn country life.

(Added bonus: The washer figured out life and is humming along quite nicely. Mouse poop is cleaned out and washer is now bleach clean.)

Melanie, Who am I ? said...

I sure hate those mice!